Saturday, November 12, 2011

The middle child

I have a favorite little customer.  He likes his birthday cakes to be ... unique!
He is a middle child, much like myself (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!) so I completely understand him.   We have older siblings who get all the 'firsts' and all the attention, and younger siblings who are 'the baby' and never get into trouble.  Tawn and Dan, you know I'm talkin 'bout YOU!   Sorry, I digress...

Back to my customer.  He has an older brother, and his cakes have been a football, and a football helmet.  He has a sweet little sister who likes Strawberry Shortcake, and pink and purple and sparkly things, and just recently, shoes!  Girl after my own heart...

But, last year, this little red headed boy asked for a watermelon!  So, I made a watermelon cake.  Strawberry cake with strawberry filling and chocolate chips to look like seeds.

  And then, he came over this year, and asked for a 'brain'.  So, after lots of research as to what brains look like, with help from my husband the doctor, I made a brain cake.  Chocolate cake with caramel buttercream filling.  I tinted the buttercream 'brain matter' grey.  Then, I added a tiny bit of red gel for blood.  I'll bet all the kids at the party loved it, and the parents were repulsed.  Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment